For our campers in grades 1 - 3, Coastal Camp aims to promote a sense of place and appreciation for our natural world. Through adventure, fun, and learning, we foster environmental literacy.
Weeklong day camp sessions include two daily snacks, lunch, and a camp T-shirt (limit one per camper). Campers are grouped by their fall 2018 grade level.
GRADES 1 - 3
Discover the secrets of seldom seen sharks of the Pacific as you uncover the mysterious world of carnivorous fish. Debunk shark myths, hear legends from around the world, and spend some quality hands-on time with live shark visitors!
- Create a shark totem pole
- Make a shark fin hat
- Visit the Marine Lab
- Discover shark superpowers
- Try on a shark costume
- Pet a live leopard shark
Featuring a Bay sailing adventure! Set sail for adventure and discover what lies beneath the waves. From small tide pool critters to frolicking marine mammals, this week is all about our unique marine ecosystem and our place within it.
- Search for carnelians on Rodeo Beach
- Hike to the Point Bonita overlook
- Observe harbor seals
- Visit the Marine Lab
- Hear shipwreck stories
- Build your own mini boat and test its buoyancy
- Bay sail on the schooner Seaward
- Explore the Bay Model Visitor Center
Discover all that the Headlands has to offer with a week filled with nature exploration, hikes, and animal identification. The coast boasts a unique ecosystem, and this week is all about who and what lives here.
- Tour the Native Plant Nursery
- Explore the Skins and Skulls Lab
- Visit with live bird visitors from WildCare
- Take a native plant identification hike
- Collect bugs at the pond
- Identify bugs using microscopes
- Dissect a flower
- Use binoculars to observe wildlife in the field
Imagi-Nature - Grades 1-2 - NEW!
Head out on the trail, take a closer look, and get creative! The Marin Headlands are alive with shapes, patterns, colors, and textures that are sure to inspire your inner artist. Let your imagination come alive as you experiment with rhythm, dance, song, and art.
- Create 2D and 3D art using recycled treasure
- Play with echoes and rhythms in historic tunnels
- Hike to scenic spots and draw, paint, or sketch what you see
- Sing songs on trail
- Use natural objects to create works of art