For our campers in grades 1 - 3, Coastal Camp aims to promote a sense of place and appreciation for our natural world. Through adventure, fun, and learning, we foster environmental literacy.
Weeklong day camp sessions include two daily snacks, lunch, and a camp T-shirt (limit one per camper). Campers are grouped by their fall 2017 grade level.
GRADES 1 - 3
June 12 - 16 or July 3-7 (no camp on July 4) or August 7 - 11
$388/week of June 12 and August 7, $310/week of July 3
Discover the secrets of seldom seen sharks of the Pacific as you uncover the mysterious world of carnivorous fish. Debunk shark myths, hear legends from around the world, and spend some quality hands-on time with live shark visitors!
- Create a shark totem pole
- Make a shark fin hat
- Visit the Marine Lab
- Discover shark superpowers
- Try on a shark costume
- Pet a live leopard shark
June 19 - 23 or July 10 - 14
Featuring a Bay sailing adventure! Set sail for adventure and discover what lies beneath the waves. From small tide pool critters to frolicking marine mammals, this week is all about our unique marine ecosystem and our place within it.
- Search for carnelians on Rodeo Beach
- Hike to the Point Bonita overlook
- Observe harbor seals
- Visit the Marine Lab
- Hear shipwreck stories
- Build your own mini boat and test its buoyancy
- Bay sail on the schooner Seaward
- Explore the Bay Model Visitor Center
June 26 - 30 or July 24 - 28 or August 14 - 18
Discover all that the Headlands has to offer with a week filled with nature exploration, hikes, and animal identification. The coast boasts a unique ecosystem, and this week is all about who and what lives here.
- Tour the Native Plant Nursery
- Explore the Skins and Skulls Lab
- Visit with live bird visitors from WildCare
- Take a native plant identification hike
- Collect bugs at the pond
- Identify bugs using microscopes
- Dissect a flower
- Use binoculars to observe wildlife in the field
July 17 - 21 or July 31 - August 4
Grades 1 - 2 $388/week
Call of the Wild - Grades 1 - 2
Join Coastal Camp for a week in the wild! You'll always be on the right track as you practice orienteering skills with a map and compass. Outlast the elements with your team and learn how indigenous people used the natural resources to thrive in the Headlands.
- Go on trail adventures in the Headlands hills
- Discover native animal adaptations
- Visit the Native Plant Nursery
- Test your shelter building skills
- Tour historic landmarks in the Headlands