For campers in grades 4 - 6, Coastal Camp aims to promote an understanding of the interconnections in our natural world. Through adventure, games and investigations, we continue to foster environmental literacy and create a space where fun and learning meet.
Weeklong day camp sessions include two daily snacks, lunch, and a camp T-shirt (limit one per camper). Campers are grouped by their fall 2018 grade level.
GRADES 4 - 6
June 25 - 29 or July 30 - August 3 or August 13 - 17
Grab your hiking gear for a week of special adventures to unique landmarks and locations. This theme includes exciting hikes to scenic destinations other Coastal Campers don’t experience. Exploration requires teamwork and Trailblazers will work together to solve puzzles and build trust along the trail.
- Gaze up at the Golden Gate Bridge from Black Sands beach
- Create location based reflections and art
- Venture to the highest point in the headlands atop Hill 88
- Explore the Plateau in the Sky, a historic helipad hidden in the hills
- Solve the magma maze
June 18 - 22 or July 16 - 20
Featuring a Bay sailing adventure! Marine biology takes center stage this week as campers explore coastal tide pools, Rodeo Beach, microscopic plankton, and local marine mammals. Coastal campers will explore the role that humans play in protecting and conserving our oceans.
- Hike to the Point Bonita Lighthouse
- Get hands-on with the Marine Lab critters
- Examine plankton under a microscope
- Participate in a national science project with 5 Gyres
- Bay sail on the schooner Seaward
- Explore the Bay Model Visitor Center
June 11 - 15 or August 6 - 10 $400/week
July 2 - 6 $320/week (No camp July 4)
Mysteries of the Marin Headlands
Take a step back in time and discover the mysteries shrouded in the coastal fog. Walk in the footsteps of previous Headlands inhabitants and investigate classified landmarks. Uncover the secrets of the past as you discover ancient ruins in the hills.
- Visit a Miwok kocha
- Locate the classified Nike Missile Site
- Investigate archeological sites
- Interview a park ranger
- Hike to Point Bonita Lighthouse
July 9 - 13 or July 23 - July 27
Call of the Wild - Grade 3-4
Featuring a one-night overnight for Grades 3 - 4! Join Coastal Camp for a week in the wild! You'll always be on the right track as you practice orienteering skills with a map and compass. Outlast the elements with your team and learn how indigenous people used the natural resources to thrive in the Headlands.
- Go on trail adventures in the Headlands hills
- Discover native animal adaptations
- Visit the Native Plant Nursery
- Test your shelter building skills
- Tour historic landmarks in the Headlands
July 9 - 13 or July 23 - 27
Adventure Trek - Grades 5-6 Only
Featuring a one-night overnight! Stamp your passport to adventure during this week of quests, discoveries, and explorations! Each day features a hike to a different secret spot in our park. To get there, the team will have to work together and complete challenges and riddles.
- Go on a Headlands-themed scavenger hunt
- Participate in team challenges, including a night hike
- Create a map of your adventures
- Make a team banner
- Hike to Tennessee Valley for the overnight